St. Hannibal Empowerment Centre

St. Hannibal Empowerment Center (SHEC) is a religious organization of the Rogationists of the Heart of Jesus. It is a community of Spirit-led persons which aims to follow Jesus Christ in his union with his Father and in his proclamation of the kingdom of God. It is an inserted community among the squatters. The goal of SHEC is to empower the poor people of Metro Manila, Philippines, through housing, livelihood, education, health, waste management, youth and values formation.

Name:
Location: Pasay City, Metro Manila

Mission: Its mission is to empower the poorest of the poor and catalyze an integral Christian transformation of urban poor communities in collaboration with the local Church by a holistic process that addresses concerns on housing, livelihood, education, health, environment and sanitation, justice and peace, youth formation and values formation. The goals of SHEC consist of assisting in alleviating poverty among urban poor communities in Pasay and other cities in Metro Manila; and building the foundation of community transformation through intensive values formation. Its objectives are, specifically, to facilitate the organization and formation of people’s organization that are self-sufficient and empowered, facilitate the values and spiritual formation and capability building of urban poor leaders, to assist the urban poor / informal settlers of Pasay and other cities in Metro Manila in realizing their dreams of achieving security of tenure through in-city relocation, to facilitate the implementation of economic programs and basic social services in urban poor communities, and to facilitate access to formal education in favor of the poor and deserving students.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

AHA!!! This is my learning experience!


As a student…..
…..I bring the name of my school (Asian Social Institute) that I need to be sensitive and aware of my actions.
Obedience to authority shall be observed, that I continuously respect my school and agency supervisor.
As Co-volunteer/ Co-student…..
…..I had no regrets being with Lina Cordero and Sr. Emiliana Beta, FCJ. We learned to bend on our shortcomings and even tried to be polite approaching each other dealing with our mistakes. The exchange of ideas, be it academic or spiritual, enriched my life that at most of the times served as reminders for me having my limitations as human.
I will miss their sisterly care.
As we part, may God bless them in all their endeavors.
As Volunteer of St. Hannibal Empowerment Center (SHEC)…..
…..I heard many things about SHEC from previous students that made me think that I don’t want to do my Fieldwork II in the area. I had no choice when our school supervisor assigned me to be with SHEC.
Fears and wonders were in me, having no experience at all performing community work in the field of social work. But everything turned to be different. The agency staffs were accommodating. We were allowed to attend agency meetings (internal and external), and to do immersion.
Supervision was provided by Rev. Fr. Dexter Prudenciano, RCJ, that was substantial enough to guide us in our community work. During our supervisions, it seemed that I had my Spiritual Growth Series as our community work were being related to the work of Jesus in working with the poor, having it sourced from the book “ Backpack of Jesus Seeker.”
I am so grateful of knowing him. May God bless Rev. Fr. Dexter, that may he continuously be filled and be zealous enough as he is guided by the Holy Spirit with the strength to endure every challenge that lies ahead. By God’s grace, may he finish the race.
All glory be to God.

As a Social Work Intern assigned at Barangay 152…..
…..My journey with the people of Barangay 152 allowed me to understand them, to handle the differences I encountered and be able to accept them as what they are. We enjoyed the laughter, learned from shared stories that contributed both on our personal growth. My experience with them is a great blessing.

LEARNINGS…..
Awarenes is crucial from the period of entering the community until termination of service ( e. g. manner of dressing, way of communicating with people)
Importance of “courtesy call” to influential leaders of the community
Immersion and Social Investigation shall be performed simultaneously through informal means of “kwentuhan”, “pagbabahay-bahay”, “ugnayan” as I build rapport with the people.
“Participatory Planning” shall be encouraged after the people had identified their priorities of concern which are realistic and attainable in nature. Inclusion of people in community decision-making leads to “people’s empowerment.”
Flexibility of one’s personality in dealing with diversities
Livelihood concerns go with housing issue to have means of sustaining everyday needs, uplift standard of living and pay monthly housing mortgage.
“Social Responsibility” means interconnectedness, and the goal is “development.” (Jennie Lucero)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home